DIVERSITY: We foster an inclusive environment that supports leadership, advocacy, professional development, and research from varied perspectives.
ILCA has committed to diversity as a core value of the organization. With our roots in community-based breastfeeding support and our expansion into the arena of public health, we've found that we best impact global health by engaging across a wide variety of fields and experiences. IBCLCs are in the unique position to serve as “bridges” between public and private sectors that serve breastfeeding families in communities around the world. We are committed to encouraging diverse expertise and cultural knowledge as we reach our vision of world health transformed through breastfeeding and skilled lactation care.
What does diversity mean to ILCA?
How can we work together to make it a reality?
We recognize that, for much of our profession's existence, diversity has not been given the priority it deserves. We want to change that reality. We have begun to take intentional steps, which are highlighted below. We have many more initiatives planned, and we encourage you to watch this space for updates.
ILCA is actively encouraging diversity within the lactation field through:
- Developing our Global Partners Program
- Increasing the diversity of the membership of the ILCA Board of Directors and Committees
- Making diversity a key focus of our ILCA Knowledge Center
- Integrating sessions focused on diversity and equity into the 2016 ILCA Conference
- Encouraging our webinar presenters, conference speakers and clinical skills facilitators to meet the diverse needs of learners from a variety of countries, work settings, cultures, and social backgrounds
- Selecting webinar presenters, conference speakers and clinical skills facilitators from a variety of countries, work settings, cultures, and social backgrounds
- Co-hosting equity- and diversity-related educational events created by the Lactation Equity Action Committee (and its predecessors) in 2014, 2015, and 2016
- Restructuring ILCA’s membership fee structure to promote a greater diversity among our members and greater diversity in member access to free continuing education credits
- Providing Membership Scholarships for those individuals who are unable to pay for ILCA
membership due to social, economic, or political hardships